Friday 30 November 2012

innner-view #10 [dare to dream]






My dear dreamers,

Today I have with me the talented multimedia-artist Elly Ang, from the Philippines. Welcome Elly and thank you for your time!


DLC Photography Profile by ~angelelly93 on deviantART

1. Tell us a little about yourself. What was your biggest conquest? What’s your most treasured dream?

Hi! I’m Elly Ang, a Chinese girl who lives in the Philippines, and speaks better in English than in Chinese, but I try. Haha! I love art, and when I was in my first year in high school, I already knew that I’d be taking Multi-media Arts in college. A bit weird because I wanted to be a vet when I was a kid, but hey, dreams change.

My biggest conquest would be surviving arts and design college. I’m in my 3rd year now and to tell you the truth, I have competition, and there are a lot of people that are better than me. In some ways I surpass them, and in some ways they surpass me. But I still do my best and persevere. I can’t be good at everything but I have to keep trying.

My most treasured dream, next to being happy, is to work for Pixar Animation Studios someday. It’s a longtime dream of mine, and despite having a hard time in 3D and 2D animation, I’m willing to keep doing my best.


Disney Ladies Chalk Photography: SLEEPING BEAUTY by ~angelelly93 on deviantART

2. You did a wonderful project for school, combining photography and drawing. What did you learn along the process? And how long did it take from the draft until the final project? 

Thank you! Actually, I did learn a lot of things, like when you shoot outside, the weather can’t be changed, you have to adjust to the weather, if it’s super sunny, you either wait (if you don’t have a choice because your photo will be overexposed) or you can adjust your camera. I also learned that big projects like that would take so much time and patience.

It took at least 4-5 days, the first day was coming up with an idea for my final project for photography class, and it counts as a big impact to my final grade. Then I saw the chalk photography in the Internet and I thought, why not? I pitched my concept to my professor and he approved it.

Then I talked to my sister to help me out, and then got two of our cousins to be the model. Thank god it was school break for everyone except me (because we have 3 semesters per school year). My sister helped me with the concept, she’s an artist also (except she’s an Interior Designer), we planned it out, printed some photos of Disney characters and such. Then we bought supplies, a lot of chalk and black poster papers.

First day of shoot was a failure, because the poster paper was too light so we had to tape it to the floor or the garage, the problem was that the wind would still pull it. It took so much time that we gave up after two scenes.

Second day of shooting was so much better; we used black illustration boards instead, which was heavier and better. We did six Disney ladies in one day.

Third day of shooting was a bit rushed, but we did great. We finished the four ladies and I finished the layout and editing, then immediately went to the printing place to print the book that I have to pass to my professor. He wanted it in a hardbound album type thing.

Anyway, I was prepared, so I have a back-up plan, because the first shooting day was a failure. But I always remind myself that anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong at some point, DOUBT everything and prepare.

If you want to see the behind the scenes photos of the shoot, you can visit my blog at: danger-in-design.


Disney Ladies Chalk Photography: ALICE by ~angelelly93 on deviantART

3. Which Disney princess would you like to be? Why?

I’d say Mulan but that might be because she’s Chinese and I want a dragon. Haha! I think it would Alice (is she included in the Disney princesses?) in Alice In Wonderland, because she’s so curious in life and she has adventurous streak, and she doesn’t care what other people thinks.


Disney Ladies Chalk Photography: MULAN by ~angelelly93 on deviantART

4. Which tools do you use in your creative works? Which one do you feel more comfortable with?

I use a lot of things; I’m a Multi-media artist. I use a camera, a tablet, my laptop, and a whole lot of programs. I have to adjust to all of them so I’ll feel more comfortable, I can’t really choose because I have to learn all of them. It’s not just photography; I also do advertisements, covers, videos, and whatnot. Jack-of-all-trades, I guess.


Disney Ladies Chalk Photography: JANE by ~angelelly93 on deviantART

5. Do you keep a notebook to register all your ideas? What could we find in there?

I don’t have a notebook or a planner that I keep my ideas in. I’m basically a scatterbrain. Haha! One time, I tried to keep a planner, I ended up writing for a few days and I suddenly stopped. I don’t know. I really just can’t keep a planner.

Usually, my ideas are written in stickies or whatever notepad or word file in my MacBook, sometimes I write them on scrap paper or my sketchbook, which I forget and lose. I have no hope for memos. When I’m desperate, I use Post-Its and slap it on my MacBook so I’ll remember it the next day. I guess some ideas just retain themselves in my brain.


Disney Ladies Chalk Photography: JASMINE by ~angelelly93 on deviantART

6. What and when was the last movie you absolutely adored? What made you feel that way?

WRECK-IT RALPH. The last movie I watched and I ABSOLUTELY adore it. I don’t usually like some of Disney’s animated movies (except Tangled), but I really fell in love with this one. If you haven’t watched it, you definitely should.

Anyway, Wreck-It Ralph is a great movie because of its idea and plot, it’s simple but different, and I was never bored during movie, I also cried in some parts, and I rarely cry in animated films unless it’s a Pixar movie. Wreck-It Ralph is imaginative, funny, and definitely inspirational.


Disney Ladies Chalk Photography: WENDY by ~angelelly93 on deviantART

7. What was the bigger obstacle you had to surpass? How did it help in your future works?

The biggest obstacle that I've surpassed recently would be the Disney Ladies Chalk Photography. Because I have never been THAT diligent in my life. I started it early instead of cramming it and frankly, I really did find my passion in photography there. But I don’t see myself being a photographer in the future, but I definitely found out that I was good at it.

That experience helped me with my next photography class and it inspired me to do a lot better in my other works.


Disney Ladies Chalk Photography: POCAHONTAS by ~angelelly93 on deviantART

8. Are you a morning or a night person? Do you have a special time and place where you get more creative? 

I’m a night person, definitely a night person. Because I schedule my classes during the night. Well, usually. Because I find it so hard to wake up in the morning. I’m totally a night owl. I usually feel really creative when I have inspiration, but that’s hard to come by when I’m doing so many things, so creative ideas get to me when I’m in my busiest mode or in my cramming mode.

Cramming is definitely a bad habit of mine, but during my desktop publishing class, I crammed most of my work and they were all great and I got the highest grades. The best ideas come to me when I’m under pressure. I should really work on getting over my procrastination. LOL.


Disney Ladies Chalk Photography: MEG by ~angelelly93 on deviantART

9. What is the characteristic that most defines you?

This is a tough one. I’d say I’m calm. Because even if I have a deadline or I’m in a middle of a fight, I always remain calm. I don’t let emotions like anxiety or anger get the best of me. I don’t see the point in making a mountain out of a molehill when I can simply ignore it or find another way to overcome it.


Disney Ladies Chalk Photography: CINDERELLA by ~angelelly93 on deviantART

10. If you could make a change in this world with your work, what would it be?

I've always wanted to make everyone smile or make them happy. That’s why my blog is full of happiness most of the time. And when I’m angry, I don’t show it to people because I believe that what emotion I show will affect people around me. You pass hate and they’ll pass it on to someone else. It’s a domino effect.

I would love my art to pass on happiness and inspiration. I haven’t figured out how to do that yet, but I would dedicate my work on making people pass on the happiness and inspiration that my work has pass on to them.
You can find more about Elly at her deviantArt profile, check it out!

--

Read my other inner-views here!


No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...