Wednesday 26 October 2011

be inspiring

My newest work project is about the days of the week. I didn't finished the flavours yet, but I'm working on that.

I like to think on the origins of things and the week days were always present on my mind, because they vary so much from country to country. Wednesday in English, mercredi in French, quarta-feira in Portuguese. 

Wednesday comes from the word Wōdnesdæg (Old English) and means "Day of Wodanaz" and it could also means "Mercury's day". I prefer the Nordic mythology to the Roman. Vikings are so cute.

Wodanaz (in Proto-Germanic) is Odin, the major god in the Norse mythology and the principal member of the Æsir (the major group of the Norse pantheon).

In futhark (or runic alphabet is an ancient Germanic and it is used for writing, divination and magic) , Odin is represented by the rune Othala //sorry, it's Ansuz!(the 4th rune; rune means secret) that represents intelligence, communication and inspiration. And today is a good day to stay at home, it's so cold outside!



Odin's Day by ~BlackLuna on deviantART
Maybe you don't remember, but you all have seen these runes before At Lord Of The Rings, by Tolkien or in Nazi symbolism. I could say much more about the Nordic Lore, but it's mythology it's so complex it would take much time to write it here. but if you would like to know more about it, just ask me and in my next week-day work I'll give some more insight.
Note: Information taken from Wikipedia and Edred Thorssons' books, Futhark and Rune Lore.

No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...